This post is the text from an email from the Multnomah Youth Commission, inviting youth to attend the 2nd annual Rob Ingram Youth Summit Against Violence. Here is a flyer to share (you can also view it at the bottom of the post).
Saturday, March 16, 2013
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Ambridge Event Center
1333 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, OR 97232
This will be a powerful event with action steps. This event is for youth under 21. Invited adults will attend the final sessions of the day to hear the report-out (starting at 2:45).
2nd Annual Rob Ingram Youth Summit Against Violence
We, the Multnomah Youth Commission, established the Youth Against Violence Committee (YAV) in 2011, in response to the growing violence directed towards young people. We are currently focused on Anti-Gay and Gender, Cyberbullying, Gang, Home, Police, School (Bullying) and Sexual/ Dating Violence, as well as Restorative Justice. As the official youth policy body for Multnomah County and the City of Portland, we will not tolerate these acts, which create a hostile and unsafe environment for all youth throughout our city and county.
This youth summit (21 and under) is being held on Saturday, March 16, 2013 at the Ambridge Event Center (1333 NE MLK Jr. Blvd) from 10:00am- 5:00pm. The first part of the summit is for youth only to caucus, build community, and develop action steps related to last year’s policy recommendations. The presence of invited policymakers and community leaders is requested in the afternoon to listen to youth’s stories of violence and engage young people in dialogue around how we can take steps together to reduce violence in our community.
We are providing:
1. On site licensed childcare to all young people with children (registration required)
2. Bus transportation to and from the summit from 14 different locations (see attachment)
3. Breakfast, lunch and snacks during the day
4. Custom made T-Shirts from local business Screw Loose Studios in N.PDX
5. Amazing raffle prizes with lots of chances to win.
6. Opportunities to learn, take action and STOP the violence
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED: IF you know of a YOUNG PERSON (NOT ADULT) who would be interested in attending please have them register online here.
The goals of the summit are to…
- Provide resources for youth to deal with violence they experienced and/or currently experience in their lives
- Inform policymakers with the experiences youth face regarding violence and strengthen our youth-adult partnerships to implement our policy recommendations and actions.
- Educate youth and adults about Our Bill of Rights: Children + Youth and the importance of its implementation into all decision making areas in the community
- Bring diverse youth from across the region together to share ideas and experiences regarding violence and build a youth movement for social change
Currently, our formal partners include State Farm Insurance Youth Advisory Board, Multnomah County’s Office of Diversity and Equity, Department of County Human Services, STRYVE (Health Department), Defending Childhood Initiative, and the Local Public Safety Coordinating Council, City of Portland’s Office of Youth Violence Prevention, America’s Promise Alliance, Oregon Safe Schools and Communities Coalition, and Einstein Bagels.
Please pass this information on to all who would find it valuable.
Thanks for your support,
Youth Against Violence Committee, Multnomah Youth