SummerWorks has as its goal to provide internships for 1000 youth this summer, 2013. In its 4th year, the program has evolved into one of the premier youth workforce development programs in the Portland Metro Area.
Here is what you need to know if you are a youth seeking to apply:
- You must live in Multnomah or Washington County.
- You must be between 16-21.
- Internships last 180 hours, schedules to be determined with employer.
- Internships are paid.
- Fill out this application. Applicants are screened according to the online application and selected candidates will be invited to an orientation to learn more about the program and to determine if the candidate is eligible.
- Not all applicants are accepted into the program. Need and work-readiness both contribute to an applicant’s chances of being placed in an internship.
My workplace has hosted Summer Works (formerly Summer Connect) interns for the last three years. I can tell you that the interns are very well prepared and supported in their jobs. At Multnomah County, they are employed in a wide variety of our programs, from administrative assistants, to SUN school helpers, to library aids, to working in the assessors office. We really enjoy having the students around!