The Portland area’s Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce has a terrific scholarship program. Every year they give out tens of thousands of dollars to local students. Application must be downloaded and submitted with supporting documents by January 31, 2014. See all details on their scholarship website.
You can get a summary of the eligibility and application requirements from their recent email blast (November 15, 2013):
The Hispanic Chamber is proud to release the 2014 Scholarship application and invite you to apply!
In May 2013, the Hispanic Chamber awarded $175,100 to 58 Hispanic students living in Oregon and SW Washington at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland, Ore. Individual scholarships ranged from $2,000 to $5,700.
Please read below for general scholarship requirements and instructions on how to apply. Good luck!
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylees, or individuals who are lawfully authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer and who, at the time of application, possess lawful evidence of employment authorization;
- Applicant must be of Hispanic ancestry, permanently residing in Oregon or Clark County, WA;
- Applicant must have at least a 3.0 GPA as evidenced by a certified high school or college transcript; and
- Applicant must be enrolled by September 2014 in an accredited community college, 4-year college or university, or an accredited graduate degree program.
- Applicants will be evaluated based on their academic achievements, extracurricular activities in the community, and a written essay.
How to Apply:
Applicant must submit a completed application with all the required attachments (all attachments must be typed):
- Certified transcripts for a minimum of two years. If you are a first year college student, please provide your current college transcript, plus your high school transcript. All transcripts provided with your application must be certified and sealed official copies provided by your school’s transcript office.
- Two (2) current letters of reference.
- A list of current activities and hours spent on community service, extra-curricular and/or work experience.
- A list of any awards or honors you have received.
Mail to: HMC Scholarship Committee • P.O. Box 1837 • Portland, Oregon 97207
Or email electronic application and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org (acceptable file formats: PDF & Doc).
Applications and attachments must be postmarked or electronically submitted by January 31, 2014.
Postmarked applications or info after January 31, 2014 will not be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS!
The Chamber also sponsors two workshops for students and their families:
Path to Scholarships® “Making Dreams Come True”
Saturday, December 7, 2013
Presenter: Araceli Ortiz, Linfield College
Place: Linfield College,
School of Nursing
Peterson Hall Auditorium
2255 NW Northrup St.
Portland, OR 97210
Time: 09:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Financial Aid Workshop
Saturday, January 11, 2014
Presenter: Alex Gonzalez
Two Workshop Times:
11 – 12:30 pm and 1 – 2:30 pm
Place: University of Portland
5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Portland, OR 97203
Time: 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM